We are working out and watching what we eat, but are we really watching what we drink? Did you know that Vodka for example, has about 90 calories per ounce? Often times we pick up drinks that are pretty, delicious, and fun without even thinking twice about the peril we are causing to our waistlines. Perhaps it would be better to grab a light beer and enjoy the same amount of calories in that entire bottle that you would otherwise ingest in 1 measly ounce of liquor. If you are going to be hosting a party this NYE, then here are some great options for you, and your unsuspecting guests, too! My favorite drinks that should leave you guilt free. Well, guilt free about your weight that is. They still have alcohol in them so Lord knows you could end up being guilty of other things…
Beck’s Premier Light 64 calories (fewest!)
Amstel Light 95 calories
Anheuser Busch Natural Light 95 calories
Michelob Ultra 95 calories
Natural Light 95 calories
Miller Light 96 calories
Heineken Light 99 calories
Budweiser Select 99 calories
Coors Light 102 calories
Corona Light 105 calories
COCKTAILS ( With Recipes)
Servings: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 182
3 cups boiling water
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (or no calorie sweetener)
1 1/4 cups lime juice
1. Combine boiling water and sugar to taste. Stir until the sugar dissolves; chill. Add the lime juice to make limeade. Fill 4 tall glasses with ice and pour desired amount of rum in the glasses. Top with the limeade. Use no calorie sweetener for an even lighter drink.
Servings: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Calories per serving: 198
1 1/2 cups mixed colorful bite-size melon pieces, such as cantaloupe, honeydew, Ogen or Charentais
1/3 cup sugar
1 750-ml bottle white wine
1/4 cup brandy
2 tbsp orange-flavored liquor
3/4 cup sparkling water
1. Stir melon and sugar together in a large pitcher. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Just before serving, stir wine, brandy, orange liquor and sparkling water into the pitcher. Add ice cubes to 6 glasses. Fill the glasses with the sangria, spooning some of the fruit into each glass. Garnish each drink with a slice of lime.
Servings: 20 – .5 cup servings
Calories per serving: 68
12 thin lemon wedges
3 cups orange juice, chilled
3 cups apricot nectar, chilled
2 cups ice cubes
1 750-milliliter bottle champagne or sparkling white wine
1. Place a thin wedge of lemon in each compartment of an ice-cube tray, with one end of the wedge extending above the tray. Fill tray with water and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
2. Pour orange juice and apricot nectar over ice in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Add champagne or sparkling water, stirring gently. Place the premade ice cubes in each champagne glass or punch cup. Pour over ice.
Calories per serving: 95
2 limes, sliced
2 cups water
2/3 cup sugar (or no calorie sweetener)
1/4 to 1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1. In a blender combine lime pieces, water, and sugar (or no calorie sweetener). Cover and blend about 30 seconds or until limes are chopped; do not puree. Strain through a sieve into a large pitcher. Mix in 2 cups additional water. Cover and chill for an hour.
2. Stir rum into lime mixture. Moisten the rims of 8 glasses with the reserved lime piece; dip rims in sugar. Divide mint among glasses. Use a wooden spoon to press mint into the bottom of each glass; press firmly to release flavor. Fill glasses with ice cubes. Pour chilled lime mixture over ice and mint leaves. Add mint leaves.